Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A seat like no other in the air



The seat from outer space (yeah, it's that cool)
For our first blog posting, I though I would share with you my recent experience flying aboard Air New Zealand on a recent trip to London in their Premium Economy Spaceseat. 
Airlines may have been on to something when they came up with the concept of premium economy.  It provides those that may not have the money to fly business or first class a step up to some extra comfort for long international flights. 
Air New Zealand may well have taken a leap when it designed their Premium Economy Spaceseat for their 777-300’s; as this product, in my opinion, takes the premium economy experience up several notches.
Air New Zealand set out to bring more space and privacy to the premium economy product.  I think they did an outstanding job in their vision.
The design and layout of the seats do indeed offer travelers a great deal more comfort.  Having the seats configured in a 2-2-2 setup is nice.  The fact you won’t be stuck in a middle seat is a great way to enhance any cabin. 
Having each seat in its own shell provides a great many advantages to the traveler.  Starting with the fact that when the passenger in front of you wants to recline, you won’t be intruded upon.  That’s right, no more tray tables flying out at you threatening your lap with a tumbling in-flight meal.
I also like the fact when you lay back it’s as if you’re reclining in a comfy armchair.  There’s even a cushy beanbag ottoman to prop your feet up on and let’s not forget the nice pillow and warm blanket that await you to curl up in.  Now, fasten your seat belts and strap on the noise cancellation headphones and touch your way to over 500 hours of entertainment options on your personal monitor.  Just another nicety, there’s no need to wait around until you’ve reached cruising altitude to start enjoying your movie or TV show, you can enjoy it as soon as your seated.  However, it will be interrupted when they do play their infamous in-flight “Lord of the Rings” safety video.  Even if you’re not a fan of the movie franchise, you have to applaud an airline that can actually captivate an audience with the required safety instructions mandated before a flight takes off.
If you're flying with that special someone, you may want to get the two inner seats together as they allow the opportunity to get cozy in each others space.
Traveling solo, I prefer the window.  Thanks to the shell of the seats you can actually prop your pillow up and have a good snooze.  The person next you won't mind because you're not in his/her shell so... drool away, if you must.
Thank goodness flying food is no longer an issue.  You’ll want to actually eat the food.  Airline food has come a long way and Air New Zealand certainly had what appeared to be some tasty options.  Regrettalby, they did they run out of the fish by the time they got to my seat.  Since I don’t eat beef, I politely declined the beef tenderloin.  Honestly, at this point I wasn’t very hungry anyway.  It  did all smell so good, but I was content to enjoy the wine my flight attendant suggested.
The gentleman serving me was a bit embarrassed they ran out of the fish.  I explained that I understood, after all there’s only so much food that can be stored on an aircraft.  I did ask for more wine.  He obliged, of course.
For those that may wish to know what wine I was sipping on, it was actually an Aussie Pinot Noir, Sinclair’s I believe  – and it was amazing.  If you buy it and don’t like it – remember, I’m a much better travel consultant than oenophile. 
Now, as I sit content sipping my awesome glass of wine and watching “The Dark Knight Rises”, my embarrassed flight attendant has returned with not only more wine should I desire it, but he had put together an amazing cheese and fruit platter.  Just for me.  Being the son of a vintner, he seemed to know wine well enough; so why wouldn't he know how to pair a great snack to join it.  
Another nice thing on Air New Zealand, when they aren’t serving main meals, is that you can push a few buttons on your monitor and order up a snack whenever the desire suits you.  I did pester my flight attendant later and requested another snack, minus the wine (I don't want to be precieved as a lush).
If my review was too vague let me just say, bluntly – I really like Air New Zealand’s Premium Economy Spaceseat.  However, and maybe, needless to say, by the time my flight landed I had fallen in love with Air New Zealand.  Yes, the cabin was nice on its own merits.  What made me fall in love was the service.  Even without the special cheese plate. 
Do you remember the last time you felt like a welcome guest onboard a flight?  Although I was in premium, I boarded the flight with the economy passengers and yes, they too were treated like with a true welcoming spirit. 
How about seeing flight attendants appear as if they actually enjoy their job or smile during the flight?   Ok, how about for the entire flight?
My first experience was taking Air New Zealand to London.  I am scheduled to go to New Zealand next month.  Yes, I’m excited to visit the lovely destination, but I am anticipating my journey on their national carrier nearly as much.
I trust if you experience Air New Zealand, in any class of service, you’ll develop your own love for the airline. 


No comments:

Post a Comment